Eduardo Martinez, 18, used to graffiti his neighborhood but things became too risky after he got caught. The adrenalin rush of tagging is why he said he did it and why many others do graffiti, “People catch the most fame by doing crazy outrageous spots…like you're on a billboard up in the sky doing or on a tower somewhere downtown with mad cops below you. There's a sense of immortality and it's like you really are a super star amongst your peers. For those few days or so you're untouchable.”
Martinez was injured after he was caught and said that is why he stopped. Martinez says all graffiti artists will either get caught or get hurt. He says it is not uncommon for graffiti artists to go to jail or fall and jump off high places to escape getting caught. In a story from the San Antonio Express-News earlier this month one teenager was injured after jumping off a building and trying to run from the cops who had caught him and two other individuals tagging on West Ave which caused about $2,000 in damage. The bond for each teenager was $3,500.
Even though Martinez was caught and stopped writing illegally after he was hurt, he said graffiti helped him, “Honestly, if it wasn’t for graffiti I’d probably be out in a gang because that’s what I saw when I was younger... I chose to paint. I could be my own man when I paint and not have to answer to anyone or worry about who I could and couldn’t chill with; it took all the bad thoughts I had and turned it into art.”
My bro got caught tagging some gov't property up in Germany! did his probation and community service, but was later offered a job by the MP's (Military Police), the same people that arrested him, to paint the inside of their facility with paitings and drawings that resembled what they do. My bro just needed an alternative motive and purpose for his work so it can be beneficiary to himself and society. Graffiti Artists want to be unique and recognized for their work, but need to find better respectfull ways of showing it. JD
I'm glad that this guy was able to find some an outlet to express himself. I hope he continues to paint, just not on buildings....
ReplyDeleteI think it makes the city look more unique if its done right.
ReplyDeleteTS
My bro got caught tagging some gov't property up in Germany! did his probation and community service, but was later offered a job by the MP's (Military Police), the same people that arrested him, to paint the inside of their facility with paitings and drawings that resembled what they do. My bro just needed an alternative motive and purpose for his work so it can be beneficiary to himself and society. Graffiti Artists want to be unique and recognized for their work, but need to find better respectfull ways of showing it.
ReplyDeleteJD